Efforts to establish a stable parish community in Swan Hill would seem to go back as far as 1862, when Dr Fitzgerald made application on behalf of the Church for land to be reserved on the corner of what is now Splatt and Rutherford Streets. In the early days, the local community was visited from time to time by priests from the Carisbrook, then Inglewood, then Charlton Missions.
The first Church was opened in 1890 to great ceremony (generously assisted by the local Anglican Choir) and the Parish itself established in 1893, with Fr Goidanich appointed as first parish priest. The Sisters of St Joseph began their long association with the parish and its schools beginning with the arrival of the first sisters in 1923. During its history Swan Hill Parish has also included outlying churches serving the communities of Ultima, Piangil, Nyah West and Lake Boga.